CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Too legit to quit.

Abdi, my Somalian colleague once asked me in my 1st year this question:

"When would you say that you're satisfied with your life? like say - 'aahhh I've lived a good life' to yourself?"

And back then, I didn't have an answer. I mean, someone said something along the lines of 'when I have a stable income, a family and successful children'. Someone else said something like 'when I look out from the patio of my penthouse that overlooks a quiet private beach'. Or 'when I drive a striking red Ferrari'.. You know, textbook answers? But back then I really couldn't answer the question. I mean, a job/family/car isn't that a given? I mean, everybody wants them and everybody works to get them, but once you get them, what then? Do you give up looking for more?

Now I'm in my 5th year of medschool. I was crossing the street some time last week near Queen St when a thought suddenly struck me; I know my answer! Four years later, Abdi, I have figured out my answer. For me, the time when my aim in life will be achieved is when people talk about me, it involves the use of the article 'THE' in front, in a positive context. A conversation between two strangers would be:

A: What does Ili think of this?
B: Which Ili?
A: You know, the Ili. There's only that one whose opinion matters in this.

Yes, that is nascissm at it's best (or worst, depending on how you look at it ><) Feel free to hate me. Feel free to disagree, but when I see MY opinions materializing even when you blatantly pretend to shut me down when I say them to you, I laugh at you because I know you know I am right. At times like these, I do believe I'm too legit to quit (Cue MC Hammer 2legit2quit song here).

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahhaha.. this is ili, for sure..
    5 years of med school and u never change a bit.. brava!!~ =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha yeap, that is me alright. 100% ME! haha

    ReplyDelete